Over 1000 scientific works were acquired for Newcastle Libraries with the purchase of the C. W. Merrifield Library in 1883. It was a major step in building up the stock before the opening of the Reference Library to the public in 1884.
96 of the titles were printed before 1701, including a first edition of Euclid’s Elements. Many are first edition standard mathematical texts and reflect the international quality of the material now owned by the City of Newcastle.
C.W. Merrifield, who died in 1884, had been an eminent naval engineer during his life time. He was made a Fellow of the Royal Society in 1864, and later became principal of the Royal School of Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering at South Kensington (afterwards at Greenwich).